Where to Start
- There are several websites devoted to the documentation of cemeteries, interments, and tombstones. They include Find A Grave, Billion Graves, and Interment.net. Please be aware that these are volunteer efforts and sometimes photographs are associated to the wrong cemeteries (for example, a cemetery with a similar name). Where possible, you should contact the cemetery directly to confirm the accuracy of the information.
- The blog Monumental City provides a list of Baltimore area cemeteries as well as information about specific cemeteries.
- The following searchable volumes are available on Ancestry.com. Please note that a subscription is required to access these materials.
- Baltimore, Maryland, Loudon Park National Cemetery, 1862-2010
- Baltimore, Maryland, Deaths and Burials Index, 1877-1992
- Marriages and Deaths from Baltimore Newspapers, 1796-1816
- Index to Marriages and Deaths in the Baltimore Sun 1837-1850
- Index to Marriages and Deaths in the Baltimore Sun 1851-1860
- A Record of Interments at the Friends Burial Ground, Baltimore, Maryland (Quaker)
- The following searchable databases are available on FamilySearch.org.
- Obituaries often provide information on funeral and interment information. For indexes and abstracts of obituaries and death notices, see:
- Thomas W. Hollowak, Index to Marriages and Deaths in the Baltimore Sun, 1837-1850.
- Thomas W. Hollowak, Index to Marriages and in the Baltimore Sun, 1851-1860.
- Joseph C. Maquire Jr., Index of Obituaries and Marriages of the [Baltimore] Sun, 1861-1865.
- Francis P. O’Neill, Index of Obituaries and Marriages of the [Baltimore] Sun, 1866-1870.
- Francis P. O’Neill, Index of Obituaries and Marriages of the [Baltimore] Sun, 1871-1875.
- Francis P. O’Neil, Index of Obituaries and Marriages of the [Baltimore] Sun, 1876-1880.
- Walter Arps Jr., Departed This Life: Death Notices from the Baltimore Sun, 4 Volumes (1851-1853), (1854-1856), (1857-1858), and (1858-1860).
- Henry C. Peden, Francis P. O’Neill, and Marlene Bates. Marriages and Deaths from Baltimore Newspapers, 1817-1824.
- Robert Barnes, Index to Marriages and Deaths in the Baltimore County Advocate 1850-1864.
- For national cemeteries, the Veterans Administration provides a searchable index — Nationwide Gravesite Locator.
- The records of the Baltimore City Health Department (BRG 19) include listings of deaths which occurred in the city between 1834 and 1840. The entries include the name of the cemetery where known.
- PLEASE NOTE: The original records are in fragile and some lists may not be available for circulation in our public search room due to their condition. However, these records are abstracted in the following publication: Henry C. Peden, Baltimore City Deaths and Burials, 1834-1840. Westminster, Md: Family Line Publications, 1998. Although the Baltimore City Archives does not have a copy of this publication, copies are available for reference purposes at the Enoch Pratt Free Library (Maryland Department) and the Maryland Historical Society.